My life

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Autism

A bit of knowledge I gained in Finland.

Pepez's nephew, Konsta around 2 year old, is autist. The first time I heard about autism was from the movie Rain Man. And the only thing that got me was that it has something to do with numbers and numeric skills, but lack of social skills.

Since then I met Konsta. Pepez told me some things before our first visit to his brother's. But I didn't really know what to expect.

I wanted to get to know more about this "disease". Unfortunatelly, our communication with the mother, Marianne, is quite limited. Since she doesn't really speak english and I am not too good at finnish either. So, if Pepez is not there to translate we are quite hopeless.

But I can observe and follow Konsta's behaviour... even if for a short time every now and then.

Marianne, who is a nurse by the way, told me they were lucky. They realized it very early and could start treatment instantly. She also told me that autism has many different forms. So every autist needs personalized care.

To be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home