My life

Sunday, September 17, 2006

Back again

Okay, no posts for long time... I didn't feel like writing, though many things happened.

I'm in Romania now. Helping AIESEC Oradea to .. "grow" :-) What I will do here for around 2 months is mainly business consulting.

It's quite interesting and I can't wait to see how it will work. What I will learn about coaching, Romania, AIESEC, myself... Meanwhile I have to write essays for school on the topics of HR consulting, HR marketing, HR development, HR management, HR controlling.

Very diverse ;-)


Yesterday, on the train, I realized I had pretty negative feelings towards Romanians... I don't know much about them as a nation. I heard about Funar, and many nationalist romanian politicians, but have no picture about "average" romanian.
Pepez helped to raise my suspicion, too... with those articles he read about the country (by finnish tourists).

What's wrong with prejudice?
I think prejudice by itself is ok to have. The problem comes when it doesn't change... Just be felixible...

What happened with me till now?

Something interesting even before I left from home: I tried to find an up-to-date pic for Ioana... I dye my hair, so it's blonde. She believed most of hungarian girls to be blonde... :-\ Would it be so? I've never checked... I think it would be quite impossible to make statistics...

Then on the train... For many years now my passport was empty. No stamps or anything in it. We used to go quite often to Slovakia. My first ever passport was full of stamps. Then EU came, and using my ID was enough to travel. So no stamps...
Yesterday I was almost shouting at the border guard where he was taking my passport! Blaa... This is when you get unused to something.

Thanks to Pepez :-), I am aware there are dogs in Romania... Because of this information I was alert for dogs... And I saw one! Right after crossing the border. It was running around at the station in Bihor. But then I though... I haven't seen dogs too often in Hungary. I wonder if I meet any in the city.

In Oradea Ioana, her sister, Ankka, and Ankka's boyfriend, Mihaly was waiting for me. First nice surprise: Mihaly speaks fluent hungarian, though he is 100% romanian. Both Ioana and Ankka knows some... at least understands :-) And their parents also speak some...
Hm..hm.. I relized I didn't even had in mind learning some romanian... I took my finnish books with me :-/

Their house is quite nice, big... I have own room (Ankka's). And I slept really really well.

After breakfast we had chat with Ioana about AIESEC. Speaking only english again, at some points I had difficulties to concentrate. And I had a bit of headache. But I will do my best.

Ok, this is for now. I try to do sth useful... :-)

Ps: this relation between hungarians and all other from surrounding nations started to interest me lately. Since I got in contact with Juraj from Slovakia. I try to read and pay more attention if sth appears in news, translate and send it to him. Then discuss or react.
I would call this a whole new discovery! I never thought I should look at things from their point of view. Which is (as I find) impossible to do objectively. Cannot really travel back in time to check how things went... I don't know anything about the history of Slovakia or Romania... All was considered to be Hungarian history.

This is truly challanging my world-view! Challanging my beliefs... as a person, as a hungarian.

1 Comments:

  • Hey Dora,

    So you are in another CEED? Nice. :)

    Best of luck and will be reading you.

    Cheerios,
    Erica

    By Blogger Erica is Rich, at 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home